EasyChinese K1 iPad App Review.
The name itself is certainly a bold claim of it's own, with over 3,000 characters the Chinese written language is one of the worlds most complex. The good news is ZiCool Studio have a solid collection of apps in this area and EasyChinese K1 is up to it's 5th version and works very smoothly.
- Each character is displayed as a Chinese speaker pronounces the word
- 5 options are available
- Play audio (default option for each character)
- Detail of Character - down the bottom it shows some sentences where you might see the character in use
- Writing - An animated display of the brush strokes needed to write the character
- Meaning - A list of the different meanings for the character
- Writing Practice - Using the touch screen you can practice drawing the character
- 400 Chinese characters are presented - arranged in 20 lessons
The selection of characters included in K1 makes reference to the lists of new words in the PEP's handbook of 1st semester Grade 1.
After going through the first lesson you get have the option to take a test under the assessing button on the main screen. A word is spoken out loud and a choice of 6 characters is presented to choose from with a timer at the top. Upon choosing correctly a small child in a voice over congratulates you and a tree starts to grow on the left hand side, the effect is quite cute.
EasyChinese K1 is a professionally put together app, the main use I feel is for learning the written characters in the Chinese language. I would have liked to see a couple of different speakers for each word (male & female), there are a couple of voices recorded and one has a auto-tune quality to it, while others are more natural sounding. If you are working on your reading & written Chinese give it a try.
Also by ZiCool Studio - EasyChinese K2 EasyChinese K3 EasyChinese K4 EasyChinese K5 EasyChinese K6EasyChinese K8 EasyChinese K9 EasyChinese K10 and EasyChinese Pinyin aimed at children of Chinese parents living overseas.
We recently did a review for a travel app called Skyyer which has modules for Shanghi, Macau & a Beijing one coming soon.
Developer: ZiCool Studio
Updated: May 19, 2011
Price: $3.99 - special this weekend $1.99
Have this iPhone App already ?
What do you think of EasyChinese K1 ? Scroll down for our comment section and let us know!